Introduction

As a society, we’re experiencing a health crisis like we’ve never seen before. In years past, the biggest threat to our health was often diseases that we had no control over. Thanks to modern medicine and awareness, many of those conditions have been eradicated. However, we’re still suffering from disease at an alarming rate. So, what gives?
There are plenty of different theories about this, but what almost all of them have in common is that the way we choose to nourish our bodies is having a profound effect on our health and longevity. According to recent data, obesity rates exceed 30% in at least 30 states. The problem isn’t just that we’re not fitting as comfortably in our clothes as we once did, it’s that we’re also experiencing more heart disease, diabetes, and cancer – all of which are known consequences of carrying around extra weight and living an unhealthy lifestyle.
This brings us to the point where we either find ourselves dependent upon medical interventions to manage our poor health or do something proactively ourselves to fix the situation and live our healthiest lives possible. If you’re like me and countless other individuals, you’re more interested in option number two.
This is why you’ve probably noticed a major push towards trend diets in recent years. As a culture, we’ve always had a predisposition to try what’s new and grab onto the hype. You’ve probably also noticed that an overwhelming majority of those fad diets fade away into the sunset as people discover the results weren’t really achievable or practical to maintain long-term.
This brings us right to the keto diet. Some people associate keto with the Atkins diet, which was insanely popular a couple decades ago. This makes sense, considering that keto is carb-restrictive and that Atkins was pretty much the modern pioneer in the nutritional concept. However, keto is different and, in many ways, a healthier and more sustainable approach to traditional low-carb dieting.
This is a big part of the reason why I’ve chosen to write this book for you. As a devoted follower of the keto lifestyle, I’ve grown tired of hearing the misconceptions and negative hype built up around the diet. I’ve also grown frustrated with seeing well-intentioned people struggle with losing weight and gaining back control of their health when a solution is so readily available. I realize that the keto diet isn’t for everyone, but with the right information and frame of mind, it can be a critical component in achieving an overall improved state of health.
If you’re someone who has been struggling with their weight - whether it’s a lifetime of obesity or those stubborn last few pounds that just will not budge, or someone who has been coping with chronic health conditions, inflammation, fatigue, and stress, then this book is for you. You’ll see that the keto diet, as I present it here, isn’t about finding a magic bullet to all your woes but instead taking charge of your health, vitality, and longevity by nourishing your body in a way that promotes healing, weight loss, and increased energy.
What You’ll Find in This Book
In the modern digital age, it’s possible to easily find information on any subject with a quick search online. If you’re reading this, then there’s a pretty good chance that you’ve already fallen down the rabbit hole of spending countless hours reading keto blogs and looking for recipes that fit into your lifestyle. Yet, you still have questions and concerns about the safety and practicality of the keto diet. This is because so much of the information that you find online is incomplete, and it would take you an incredible amount of time to piece together a comprehensive guide that covers everything you need to know. This book is your solution.
What you’ll find here is everything you want and need to know about the keto diet. From the basic concepts and scientific research about the diet’s effectiveness to easy-to-follow meal plans and strategies that will help you adopt ketogenic living into your busy, modern lifestyle, it’s all covered here.
There’s nothing difficult or unattainable about ketogenic living, and the science is there to back it up – all you need are the right tools to help you see how easy, healthy, and delicious the keto diet really is. This guide aims to meet all of these criteria.
About the Author
So, who is this guy who thinks he’s such an authority on the keto diet that he’s knowledgeable enough to write a guide for hundreds or even thousands of other people to follow? Well, I’m not a doctor or a nutritionist, and I don’t pretend to be one. Who I am, though, is someone who’s been through the trenches and stood exactly where you are today. I’ve been the person who was lost and desperately wanted to make the right changes and live a healthier life – and it all started with the revelation that I wasn’t indestructible.
As a teen, I was heavily involved in sports, in fact, you could say that being an athlete was what defined me. As most of us know, it’s easy to feel untouchable when you’re young and in great physical shape. Then a little time passes, you take a few too many liberties with your diet, and you find yourself at the doctor because you’ve been feeling less than great. Fatigue, frequent thirst, and dizziness were a few of the symptoms I had reported while feeling pretty confident my doctor would tell me it was stress and I just needed to make time for a little rest and relaxation – after all, I was still young, so I wasn’t worried about anything too serious.
Then came the diagnosis I wasn’t expecting. Diabetes. The disease that, in my young, immature mind, only affected middle-aged folks who enjoyed their fried foods and cheesecake a little too much. I knew that some people were born with a different type of diabetes, but they were almost always diagnosed at a much younger age. Nope, mine was type 2 and the result of my recent poor lifestyle decisions and maybe a touch of unlucky genetics. It turns out that my years as a young athlete didn’t prevent one of my worst fears, and in fact, type 2 diabetes among children and young adults is on the rise. According to the American Diabetes Association, cases of diabetes in children and young adults have increased by 33% in the last decade. This is a startling number, especially for a portion of our population that’s supposed to be relatively strong and resistant to diet-related ailments.
Talk about a rude awakening. At first, I was lost and confused. How was this happening to me, and what did it mean for my long-term health? I started researching the possible long-term consequences of living with diabetes, and it was like a punch to my gut. Sure, I would do what I could to manage my newly diagnosed condition, but what would happen if it got the upper hand? What if I couldn’t control it?
After some time of following my doctor’s guidance and dietary plan, I found that I was managing my condition, but it still had a significant hold on my life. As with the case when many people are diagnosed with a disease, I experienced a bout of depression that at times felt inescapable.
It was around the turn of the century that I jumped on the Atkins bandwagon. At every turn, I was hearing about how people were experiencing miraculous results by eating low carb. I went at it hardcore, and my condition did improve. However, there were certain aspects of the Atkins diet that concerned me, and to be honest, it wasn’t always practical. I then spent the next couple of years going on and off Atkins and other low-carb plans.
Then I found keto, and it made perfect sense to me. Rather than focusing on just carb restriction, this plan outlined the ratio of macro-nutrients that my body needed to perform at maximum capacity. There was also the focus on healthy food choices, which was something that was generally lacking from my low-carb attempts in the past.
I went at keto full steam ahead, but I didn’t do so blindly. I researched and read everything that I could get my hands on. I wasn’t satisfied with the typical books and articles on keto – I wanted hardcore, real scientific evidence, and I found it. To this day, keto remains a bit of an obsession of mine, and I never miss an opportunity to read the latest studies, no matter which side of the keto fence they’re on.
Fast forward 14 years, and here I am. After nearly a decade and a half of living the keto lifestyle, my diabetes has long been a thing of the past. It’s not that I’m managing it well; it’s that it no longer exists. I also feel that I can confidently call myself an expert in all things keto – if there were a degree in keto-ology, I’m sure I would be an honorary graduate.
And this is the point where I come to you. I’ve taken everything that I’ve lived and learned during the last 14 years and put it together in place to share with you. I’ve witnessed firsthand the benefits of keto, and I want to share them with you. My hope is that you learn from my experience and enjoy living well with keto as much as I have.
Skip to Chapter 3
Chapter 3: Preparing for the Ketogenic Life
Now that we’ve spent some time talking about the ketogenic diet and its benefits, you’re probably wondering when we’re really going to get into the nuts and bolts of putting it into action. To be successful with any lifestyle change, whether it’s adopting the keto diet or making any other significant changes to your daily life, preparation is key. It would honestly be quite easy to just jot down a quick grocery list and declare that from here on out, you’re 100% keto, but I want something better for you.
There’s a grim statistic floating around out there that 95% of diets fail, and unfortunately, there’s some scientific evidence to back up these numbers. Take, for example, the research conducted at UCLA several years back. UCLA associate professor of psychology authored a study with the help of several co-authors about the success rate of dieting. After analyzing 31 long-term studies on the effectiveness, or in this case, the ineffectiveness, of dieting, they discovered that our track record for keeping off weight was nothing short of discouraging.
Many people will initially lose 5-10% of their body weight on a diet, and this is true across the board for the wide variety of diet plans people follow. The problem is that even after following a diet for two years or more, not only does the weight almost always come back, but we tend to pack on even more pounds in the end. The result of this study indicated that for many people, even those who are significantly overweight, there is a chance that they would have been better off had they never gone on a diet at all because at least their weight would have been stable rather than increase over the years.
Now, I don’t have a psychology degree, but I’m going to put in my two cents here anyway. My own personal thoughts on this are that we’re not failing at diets because we’re constitutionally incapable of sticking to them and meeting our goals. We’re failing on diets because they are just that – diets. The term “diet” comes with the assumption that it’s a short-term solution. After all, who stays on a diet for years? The goal is to change the way you eat, meet your goals, and then return to life as normal. This is where we’ve all gone wrong, and this is also where I’m going to help you do it right.
Before you do anything else to begin your keto journey, you need to stop thinking of it as a “diet.” Yes, I use this terminology countless times within this book, but that’s only for lack of a better word. What you need to be doing is thinking of going keto as a lifestyle change with no end in sight. Even if you cycle on and off of keto, which most people do, you never want to think of it as being off the keto diet. Ketogenic living is about a lifelong change in your dietary habits, and developing this frame of mind is going to help you succeed.
This is why I’ve decided to spend some time to help you prepare for the ketogenic way of life. Following the plan is easy, but changing your mindset and habits can be challenging. I have managed to be one of the 95% that gain back the weight, and I am confident that you can join me as a success story.
The Basic Commandments of the Ketogenic Life
After 14 years of keto living, the basic ideas of the lifestyle are second nature to me. I don’t even think about them anymore. However, I do remember a time when it wasn’t so intuitive, and I always had questions and was constantly looking something up or second-guessing myself. I remember thinking that I wish there was a cheat sheet that I could put on my refrigerator or carry around with me. There wasn’t one, which was why I was constantly writing down notes and putting them everywhere. My house and workspace were covered in sticky notes.
If I could take everything in this book and condense it down into a shortlist of advice for your keto journey, I would say these. The following points are the most important to keep in mind.
· Remember that the keto diet isn’t just low carb. One of the most important aspects of the dietary plan is that the majority of your calories – 70 to 80 percent of them – come from fat. You’ll likely see some results if you just focus on reducing carbohydrates, but the keto diet works off a precise ratio of macro-nutrients.· The ratio of macro-nutrients you want to achieve is 70-80% fat, 20% protein, and no more than 10% carbohydrates.
· Count macros, not calories. The keto diet isn’t a calorie-restrictive plan, so don’t even bother with those numbers unless you’ve been advised by a medical professional to do so.
· The keto flu is short-lived. You will survive.
· Healthy fats are your lifeline. Eventually, those craving chocolate cake will pass, but until they do, keep plenty of healthy fats on hand. For example, an avocado can be blended into a smoothie for a creamy, satisfying treat that also helps your body perform at maximum efficiency.
· There’s a difference between ketosis and ketoacidosis. Don’t fall for the negative hype, and speak with a doctor when you have questions rather than turning to the internet.
· Get out there and move. Regular exercise won’t only improve your results, it will also make you feel better overall.
· Plan on bumps in the road. There will be times when you’ll want to go to a restaurant or enjoy a meal at a friend's house. Prepare now for how you’ll handle these situations so you aren’t caught off guard when they arise.
· Pay attention to how you feel, not what other people say. It seems that today, everyone has an opinion. Trust your body and the research you’ve done rather than the words of others – unless they’re complimenting you and then go ahead and relish in it.
· Visit your doctor. It doesn’t matter if you’re following keto for weight loss, improved health, or just because you think it sounds good; it’s still important to get regular checkups from your doctor to assess your health. Besides, how else will you know for sure that keto is kicking the butt of every one of your health ailments?
· Remember science. This isn’t a fluffy trend based on some random person’s ideas of what healthy eating is.
· Keto is a lifestyle. Even if you cycle off of it, don’t let yourself sink back into old habits. Healthy fats, lean proteins, and nutritious produce…these are your staples for life.
· Pay attention to your emotional health, too. Any change is hard, so be gentle with yourself. Make time for self-care and consider a daily routine, like jotting down how you’re feeling in a fitness journal.
· Don’t neglect sleep. You might have more energy, but sleep is still critical to your health.
· Finally, enjoy yourself. You’re going to find your rhythm on the keto diet, and when you do, you’re going to experience the vitality that you haven’t felt in a long time. Relish it – you deserve it.
Okay, now that we’ve got all of this established, let’s begin preparing you for the ketogenic life.
Knowing Your Body and Understanding Your Starting Point
You may have already noticed, but I’m a big proponent of not jumping into anything blindly, and this includes keto. Not only should you be well prepared for the lifestyle changes, but you should also have a good idea of your current state of health. I know many of you are out there reading this because you want to make changes, but you also haven’t been to a doctor in years. It’s time to change that.
Routine checkups are important for monitoring your health, but they also provide a baseline of your current health so that you can accurately measure your results on keto. What if you just want to lose a few pounds? Can’t you easily measure that yourself? Well, yes, but then you’re also missing out on discovering all the other ways that keto will improve your health – many of which can only be measured through a medical examination and lab tests. A pre-keto medical exam should include your height, weight, and BMI measurements, along with complete lab work that includes a lipid profile.
If you have a regular doctor that you go to, then great, the rest is easy. But what about those who don’t have a primary care provider or are lacking the resources to cover the expense of an appointment? Don’t worry, there are solutions.
First, if you have insurance to cover a doctor’s visit, do some research on providers in your area and make an appointment with one. It can take months to get to see a new doctor sometimes, so the earlier you get started on this, the better.
Second, if you don’t have insurance, look into your options. Many employers offer at least some form of health insurance, even if it isn’t the greatest. Also, you may find a plan you love and can afford through other sources, as well as the availability of community-supported health coverage for eligible individuals.
In the meantime, or if you can’t secure a regular doctor, there are other resources you can use. For example, your employer might have a program that allows their workers access to basic medical care at a reduced price. Also, contact your local health department and ask them if they offer any free health screenings or services at a reduced rate. Oftentimes, these agencies hold community events where they offer basic health assessments, including weight, BMI, and cholesterol checks, among other important screenings. Take full advantage of these if they’re offered.
Additionally, there are many walk-in clinics and labs that provide the health assessment and information you need to begin the keto life. Many walk-in clinics perform physicals for school, sports, and work, so you should be able to get a basic assessment as a starting point. There are also walk-in lab facilities where you can order lab work without authorization from a physician. I recommend these only as a last resort, not because they’re not reputable but because you’ll still need someone to interpret the results and help identify any immediate issues that need to be addressed.
Once all this is out of the way, do a few assessments. For example, take measurements of your body – including your waist, legs, and arms. Jot down the numbers because you’ll love comparing them as the weight begins to melt off. Also, make a note of other details, like how your clothes fit, your current sleep patterns, how long it takes you to walk a mile or even a list of your current symptoms. Trust me when I say that being able to look at measurable results will help in moments of weakness, and you’ll have a great sense of accomplishment.
Mental Prep work
I’ve mentioned a few times that change is hard. The reason I keep bringing it up is because it’s true. A large part of why “diets” fail is because the people following them aren’t mentally prepared for the changes. For example, someone might be following a typical low-calorie diet and be tempted by a decadent dessert during a night out with friends. Without the right mental prep work, that temptation becomes overwhelming, and they succumb. I’m not one who believes you should beat yourself up for every little cheat or purposefully give yourself permission for the occasional indulgence, but when you’re not mentally prepared for the challenges of changing your style of eating one decadent dessert can be the beginning of the end for your dietary changes.
I have a theory that to really succeed with the keto diet, you need to know WHY you’re doing it. I’m not talking about the superficial whys – like “because it’s the healthy thing to do.” I’m talking about your true motivating factors, which might be a few things you haven’t even realized yet.
Before you start the keto diet, I want you to sit down and really contemplate why you want to make these changes. Then, once you have your answer, I want you to go deeper. Say that you want to try out keto because you want to lose weight. Great, keto is amazing for this. But now, think about why you want to lose weight. Sure, maybe your doctor has told you that you need to, but that is rarely a motivating enough factor unless there are some significant associated health issues. The point I’m getting at is that you need to do keto for yourself, so ask yourself why YOU are doing it.
For example, if you dig deeper behind the reason for weight loss, you might find that you are tired of feeling left out of certain activities or hate the fact that excess weight is preventing you from keeping up with your kids. Maybe you want to feel better about the reflection you see in the mirror. Likewise, someone who is doing this for a very specific health reason will also have those deeper reasons. For someone like me, on the surface, it was about controlling my diabetes, but underneath, it was really about all the things that controlling my diabetes meant for my life.
Find your core reasons for wanting to embrace the keto lifestyle, and then write them down. Keep this list of reasons handy and refer to it often because this is what’s going to instill the necessary self-discipline when times get tough. I can guarantee that someone dealing with the keto flu will be able to make it through easier if they have the right motivation.
Also, prepare yourself mentally by acknowledging that there will be hard times. You might have a warrior spirit and willpower of steel, but you are still human. Experiencing stumbling blocks doesn’t make you weak; in fact, it’s actually quite normal. However, your mental approach to these stumbling blocks will determine your long-term success. Accepting that they will happen and having a plan in place for when they do will leave you prepared for the challenges so that you can more easily navigate and overcome them.
Preparing to Monitor Ketones
You’re anxious to get started on the keto diet – believe me, I completely understand. But before you go all in, you need to be completely prepared for the basics – like measuring your ketones. There are three different ways of measuring ketones to establish if you are in ketosis. These include monitoring the levels of ketones in your breath, blood, or urine. Most people who follow the keto diet will have a preference for one method over the other, so let’s take a minute and talk about each more in-depth.
Blood Ketone Level: You’re going to get the most accurate reading of the level of ketones you’re releasing through a blood ketone reading. This is accomplished through a simple finger prick using a specific device, much like the finger prick devices used by diabetics to measure their blood sugar levels. While this is the most accurate measurement, there are also a few downsides. For starters, this is probably the most expensive option. Not only is there a moderate cost involved in purchasing the device, but the strips can also be costly and will need to be purchased repeatedly. Secondly, there’s the inconvenience of pricking your finger, which might also make some people a little squeamish.
End of Sample
Comments
Post a Comment